Foods rich in anti oxidants, (fight free radicles, preventing oxidative stress and cell damage within the body) and omega-3 fatty acids, may help many anti inflammatory conditions.
Eat Less of
- Processed foods
- Deep fried foods
- Refined sugar
Eat More of
- Dark leafy greens – Kale, Bok choy, Brussel Sprouts. full of anti oxidants. and anti inflammatory properties.
- Berries – blueberries, strawberries and Cherries. Full of anti oxidants.
- Citrus fruits – Full of anti oxidants
- Cruciferous vegetables – Broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower. Full of antioxidants. Eat these as often as you can. Why not try substituting your rice for cauliflower rice. For a recipe click here
- Oily fish – salmon (wild), tuna (in moderation), sardines. All full of Omega-3 fatty acids
- Seeds and nuts – walnuts, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Olive Oil – Virgin olive oil contains the phenolic compound oleocanthal, which has an anti inflammatory effect on the body.
Herbs and Spices
- Turmeric – Contains Curcumin which has strong anti-oxidative and anti inflammatory actions.
- Clove – Anti inflammatory activity
- Ginger – Contains Gingerols which have strong anti inflammatory properties.
- Rosemary – Contains anti oxidants
- Oregano – Contain anti oxidants
There are lot’s of yummy recipes out there that incorporate the foods listed. For our Antioxidant Breakfast recipe click here.
As always everything in moderation