Shiitake mushrooms are good for the stomach, blood and energy. Peas are an excellent toner for the spleen in Spring. Peas also help qi to move in the appropriate direction – and ease hiccups and coughing. People who are cold or deficient may need to add ginger to this meal.
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 cup green peas
- 1 carrot, grated
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cake tofu
- Dash of tamari (or any naturally brewed soy sauce)
- Soak mushrooms in a cup of water for 2o minutes. Drain, but keep the water.
- Finely chop mushrooms then saute in sesame oil in a wok for 2 minutes.
- Add peas and carrot and saute for a further two minutes. Add 1/3 cup of reserved water (from mushroom soaking) and salt. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Put tofu and 1/3 cup of reserved water through the blender or mash with a fork. Add tofu and tamari to wok and cook for five minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Recipe from Food for the Seasons