As the colder months fast approach it is time to eat foods that will warm and moisten our bodies in order to support and nurture our digestive system.
1 1/4 kg chuck steak (beef) fat trimmed
3 tbs oilve oil
- One bunch broccolini
- 200g mushrooms
- 1 Zucchini chopped
- 1 carrots, sliced into 5 mm (¼ inch) rounds
1 tsp ginger minced
3 tsp garlic minced
1 tsp dried ground coriander
2 tsp Chinese five-spice powder
2 star anise
1 tsp peppercorns
2/3 cup rice malt syrup
100 ml tamari sauce
2 tbs tomato paste
250 ml bone broth (Click here for recipe, also available for purchase)
- Pinch of good quality salt
- In a large saucepan heat 2 tbs of olive oil and brown the beef. Transfer to a plate.
- Combine onions, ginger, garlic, mushrooms, zucchini, broccolini and coriander in a small bowl.
- In the same saucepan heat the remaining oil and fry onion mix until softened. To scrape any remaining beef bits from the pan add a splash of water.
- Stir in the five spice, star anise and peppercorns, cook for 1 minute. Add the rice malt syrup, tamari sauce and tomato paste.
- Return the beef and any juices back to the pan and pour in the bone broth. Add a good pinch of good quality salt. Bring to the boil then add to the slow cooker.
- Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- Serve with rice or cauliflower rice (click here for recipe)