This delicious recipe is grain free, gluten free, refined sugar free and vegan.
Serves 6 – 8
- 3 cups of organic berries – I used a pint of blueberries and 1 cup of fresh strawberries, sliced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (you could also use honey, brown rice syrup, coconut nectar or whatever your favorite sweetener is)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds plus 6 tablespoons hot water (or two eggs)
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup (you could also use honey, brown rice syrup, coconut nectar or whatever your favorite sweetener is)
- 2 teaspoons melted coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon psyllium husk
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 215º C. Grease an 8? square pan with some coconut oil.
- In a medium sized bowl mix the berries with 2 tablespoons maple syrup, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch, set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds with 6 tablespoons of hot water, set aside to let it thicken.
- In a large bowl whisk together the almond flour, arrowroot, baking powder and salt. In a second smaller bowl whisk together the flaxseed eggs, almond milk, maple syrup, coconut oil, psyllium husk and lemon juice. Add the liquid mixture to the dry and mix until well combined.
- Add the berry mixture to the greased pan and drop spoonfuls of the dough to the top. Spread it out evenly with your hands or a greased spatula. You can leave it as rustic biscuit-like rounds or spread it to one even dough topping, like I did.
- Place the pan onto a rimmed baking sheet to catch any berry juice that will run out. Bake for 30 minutes until the cobbler topping is golden brown and cooked through and the juices start to bubble up over the crust. Remove from oven, cool slightly, and serve