The herbs in this dish clear the lungs and the digestive system. The beef and beans warm and build yin.
- 500g borlotti beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 300g steak, chopped into small cubes
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 bay leaves
- 2tbs olive oil
- 500g tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 okra, sliced
- pinch of salt
- 2tsp pepper
- 2tsp paprika
- 2tsp ground cardamom
- 2tsp ground cumin
- 2tbs polenta
- Place beans, beef, onions and bay leaves in a casserole dish. Just cover with cold water. Warm slowly, then cover and simmer until the beans are cooked (check after about 2 hours. You may need to add some extra water.)
- Heat over to 180. In a heavy frying pan, heat oil, stir in tomatoes, okra, spices and polenta. Simmer for 10 minutes, then tip into the meat and bean mixture.
- Place the casserole dish in the oven for another hour.