The warmth from the lamb moves down towards the kidneys. According to Chinese Medicine diet therapy, the lamb’s downward flow is especially good for the kidney yang energy, and therefore has healing qualities.
This soup will increase strength and nourish blood, which makes it very good for women, especially after giving birth. It can also be useful during heavy or irregular periods.
(This soup shouldn’t be taken by anyone with a fever)
- 10g dang gui (Chinese Angelica Root – available in Chinese groceries)
- 150g lean lamb
- 6 black dates with stones removed
- 100g dried longan fruit (also available in Chinese groceries)
- 100g fresh ginger
- Pinch of salt
- Steam the dang gui for half an hour, then finely slice it.
- Boil the lamb in water for five mins then discard water and chop of any obvious fat.
- Add enough fresh water to cover all the ingredients by two centimeters, bring to the boil again.
- Add all other ingredients except salt, cover and simmer for two hours.
- Add a little salt and serve with rice.