Basil is a wonderful herb to eat in summer as it is cooling and drying. The combination of tomatoes, olives and vinegar in this recipe encourages energy down and enhances the cooling effect.
- 3 cups basil leaves, torn in half
- black pepper
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup black olives, pitted and sliced
- 6 bocconcini, sliced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- Put the basil, pepper, most of the oil, tomatoes and olives in a large bowl. Put the bocconcini and remaining oil in another bowl. Add some pepper and let everything sit for half an hour.
- Drain the bocconcini and place in a bowl. Add the vinegar to the basil and tomato mix, then tip over the bocconcini.
- Serve with wholemeal toast
Recipe courtesy of Food for the Seasons.